General description.Single-conductor cable manufactured with one soft copper or hard 1350 alloy aluminum conductor with sealing material, semi-conducting shield and cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulation, extruded insulation shield, metallic copper stranded shield and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) jacket.
Viakon’s shielded and jacketed XLPE DS type medium voltage cables meet the following specification:
- NRF-024-CFE Single conductor power cables from 5 kV to 35 kV.
- Underground primary distribution networks in commercial areas with a very high load density.
- Primary electrical energy supply and distribution in industrial plants.
- Primary distribution networks in residential areas.
- Electrical power supply and distribution for buildings with substations located on different levels.
- Can be installed in conduits and ducts.
- Maximum operation voltage: 5 000, 15 000, 25 000 or 35 000 V.
- Insulation levels from 100% to 133% (categories I and II respectively).
- Maximum operation temperature: 90°C.
- Maximum operation temperature in an emergency: 130°C.
- Maximum operation temperature in short circuit: 250°C.
- Soft copper or hard 1350 alloy aluminum conductors with tightly applied concentric strands in sizes from 8,367 to 506,7 mm 2 (8 AWG to 1 000 kcmil).
- Cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulation.
- The metallic shield is manufactured with copper strands size 0,324 mm 2 (22 AWG) with the following number of wires:
AWG / kcmil
|Tension in Volts|
Number of wires
| ||5 000||15 000||25 000||35 000|
|8 to 4||7||-||-||-|
|2 to 4/0||10||12||14||16|
|250 to 500||14||16||18||20|
|600 to 1 000||18||20||22||24|
- No-flame polyvinyl chloride (PVC) jacket.
- Red jacket.
- Can also be manufactured with black polyethylene with 3 red stripes along the cable.
1) This product can also be manufactured with blocking elements to keep water away from the metal shield (used in damp or wet environments).
2) This products can also be manufactured with tree retardant cross linked polyethylene (TR-XLPE) as insulation.
- Metallic shield:
- Provides an excellent ground connection, which improves personal safety conditions during the operation of the cable.
- Confines and equalizes the electrostatic field.
- Protects operating equipment from electrical failures
- Jacket provides mechanical protection against abrasion and mal-treatment during installation.
- Anti-flame jacket makes it resistant to weather, sunlight, and chemical agents.
- Suitable for direct burial.
- Excellent electrical and mechanical characteristics.
- Low dielectric losses.